Monday, June 10, 2013

Math Games: Place Value




I gave my daughter a math assessment and saw that she needed help on understanding place value.  I began with direct instruction: showing her specific examples of place value:

ones                                      1
tens                                     10
hundreds                           100
thousands                       1,000
ten thousands               10,000
hundred thousands     100,000

Next, I wrote the number 6,348 and gave her these instructions:

Underline the number in the tens place.
Circle the number in the hundreds place.
Cross-out the number in the ones place.
Draw a heart over the number in the thousands place.

(Not only did this work on place value, but she also needs to work on following written instructions.)

And to close, we went outside for a little game.

I drew four BIG numbers on our driveway (big in font size, I mean) - and these are examples, not the actual numbers:

5,672
7,341
4,368
6,931

Then I called out, "Ready, set, ... hundreds!"  My daughter had to run and stand on a number in the hundreds place.

"Ready, set ... ones!"  She had to run to a different number and stand on the ones place. 

Annnnnd repeat.  Then she got to be the caller while I ran around.  Having her as the caller also reinforced the lesson because, not only did she have to remember the names of the place values, but I also saw her checking my answers.

Here is a video of what we did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzviJM_KUk&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment